Choosing a Physician


If you have received a diagnosis of AF, then it is important to work closely with your primary physician to decide and choose a physician who specializes in treating patients with AF; these physicians are called cardiac electrophysiologists. Electrophysiologists have expanded expertise in managing AF medically with anti-arrhythmic drugs, and they have the ability to treat AF with electrical cardioversion or a radiofrequency ablation procedure if appropriate in your case. Also, the electrophysiologist can decide if you need a consultation with a surgeon who specializes in the surgical approach to treatment called the MAZE procedure. Electrophysiologists are now in most major medical centers. When choosing an electrophysiologist, it is important to see someone who has experience and has done many procedures.